1. What kind of research would I be involved in?
There are many possibilities. Please visit the past research projects page to get an idea of the types of research projects our students have worked on. Faculty members select the students whose research interests (and other criteria) are a good fit for their labs. We try to match the applicants interest with available projects as best we can.
2. Do you have to be an EE major to apply?
No. The SURE program is open to students in all computing, engineering, and science disciplines from any U.S. based college or university.
3. What are the requirements for acceptance into the program?
The applicant must be a student of at least junior level academic standing and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75. We ask for a transcript, statement of interest, and one recommendation letter from a faculty member or person who can speak to your research experience.
Based on this input, faculty mentors select the students who would fit best in their labs.
4. Will this be an opportunity to prepare me for graduate school either at Tech or elsewhere?
Definitely! About 76% of SURE participants have gone on to graduate school. Of those, about 50% have decided to attend Georgia Tech. Not only does SURE provide a realistic graduate research experience, but it also helps students make important contacts for graduate recommendations.
5. Can this work be applied to undergraduate/future graduate studies for credit?
Unfortunately, no. But the research a student performs in SURE can definitely lead to further research at the graduate level in the same area. Also, a few SURE students have been able to publish and present their work at technical conferences. Publications like this can really enhance an undergraduate resume.
6. Are international students eligible to participate in SURE?
No. Based on the goals of the program and the requirements of our funding sources, SURE participants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
7. When will you start accepting applications?
The online portal will begin accepting applications on or before December 3, 2018.
8. When is the application deadline?
The application deadline is March 1st, 2019.
9. When will I be notified of my acceptance or denial?
Acceptance decisions will be made on or before February 28, 2019.
10. When is the letter of recommendation due?
All materials must be received by February 28, 2019.
11. My recommender is having trouble submitting my letter. What should I do?
Please have the faculty member send an email to SURE@ECE.GATECH.EDU.